Tuesday, December 22, 2015

[Fun Fact in China] No tipping in China

If you happen to have the chance to travel to China, you don't need to tip anyone. Usually, a service charge is included on your bill in hotel, fine dining, etc. Otherwise, service charge is basically "priced in" your food, drink, etc. Therefore, there's no need to tip, unless you really can't help it.

If you work in the service industry, please do not blame Chinese tourists for not tipping. Chances are they have no idea that they are supposed to. A thoughtful reminder would do the trick.

In fact, most countries do not tip as much as US, probably because they have a minimum wage. Here's the tipping map from Huffpost.

Two small surveys at the end, please leave your comments on the tipping culture. Do you feel anxious not knowing how much tip is expected when travelling?

If you have a choice, which one of the below options would you prefer?
1, No tips, price it in my food.
2, Include a service fee, .e.g. 15% in my bill.
3, I would like to tip whatever I want.

To be honest, would you tip less when tipping through an app/website, such as amazon prime now, lyft, or any other food delivery app?
1, Yes, I admit I tip less if I am not dealing this face to face.
2, No! I tip them just as if I am tipping my waiter/pizza boy/taxi driver.

Thanks for reading. Happy holidays to you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment