Installation of Google Play
There's plenty of Youtube tutorial out there, and my attempt to install Google Play is successful as well.
Briefly speaking, all you need is 4 apk files listed as below:
1, Google Account Manager (GoogleLoginService.apk)
2, Google Services Frameworks (GoogleServicesFramework.apk)
3, Google Play Services
4, Google Play Store
Remember to go to "Settings -> Application & Parental Control -> Prevent non-Amazon app installation -> Turn Off".
I extract my GoogleLoginService.apk from CM9 GApps package. But it seems that firephone can only work with specific version of Google Services Framework. Several attempts on installing different versions of Framework extracted from CM mod failed. After briefly go through the signature, I decide to go with the Services Framework I found online. And finally, it is installing. Google Play Services and Google Play Store are not hard to get. Just install them in order, and everything works. Well, at least Gmail and Google Play works.
After Installation of Google Play
Several issues even after we have Google Play in place.
1, Maps (affecting all apps using Google maps api)
This is pretty serious. Due to lacking in some google components, some apps in google play won't work on Fire Phone. Without Google Maps, Onebusaway, Uber(google play edition), and several apps have map rendering issue. For now, I am using Nokia maps to navigate.
I am planning to fix this by finding an older version of google maps.
2, Launcher (affecting wallpaper and widgets)
After installing Nova launcher as usual, I realize that I cannot use wallpaper or widgets. It is just a black screen with app icons on it. It feel like I bought an apple iPhone again. I love widgets!!!
I am planning to fix this by try installing other built-in apk packages from GApps. I hope that installing the original launcher and related apk would solve this issue.
3, Compatibility
Even if I can get issue one & two right, some apps in app store will probably still shown as not-compatible.
I am planning to install Coolapk market as a backup plan, just in case.
4, More googles
Google Photos won't work, Google Input won't work, etc. I can either live with it or googling how to fight it.
Overall, if you're patient and knowledgeable, buying an Amazon Fire Phone at $199 with a year of prime membership is a good deal. The hardware of this phone is well worth the $199. It's the best phone you can get for $100 (the prime membership is a must, who won't pay $99 for it?). $100 Huawei phones might look nice at first, but it can not even come close when comparing the hardware inside.
I will write a tutorial on Google Maps and Launcher issue if I can get it fixed. Just stay tuned and wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment